By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in warfare, genocide, totalitarian oppression, kin breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they may impression your individual considering with out your figuring out it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes each one of those evil books by way of its malignant middle and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the foundation for a protracted record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on process "proved" God's lifestyles basically through making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the idea that we have got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may perhaps win the award for the main malicious booklet ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past strong and Evil issued the decision for a global governed exclusively through the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that money owed for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, stunning, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area bargains a short schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will steer clear of them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World PDF
Similar conservatism & liberalism books
During this provocative publication, H. W. manufacturers confronts the very important query of why an ever-increasing variety of american citizens don't belief the government to enhance their lives and to heal significant social ills. How is it that govt has grow to be obvious because the resource of a lot of our difficulties, instead of the capability technique of their resolution?
A riveting portrait of President Bush as he broadens the warfare on terror in a foreign country -- and plunges into high-stakes political battles at domestic "They misunderestimated me," George W. Bush famously remarked at the eve of his ancient presidency. Fractured syntax apart, Bush was once correct: his detractors misunderstood his attract the yank public, and underestimated his enormous political abilities.
During this new paintings, Thom Hartmann covers eleven hassle-free suggestions to America's present difficulties. on the middle of every is a decision to reclaim monetary sovereignty and to wrest keep watch over of democracy again from the company powers that experience hijacked either the US and her electorate. what is really particular approximately Hartmann's options is that each one were confirmed to paintings.
Of the main recognizable and influential younger conservatives within the American media at the present time tackle the "Outrage Industry," revealing how the Left exploits wedge concerns and pretend outrage to silence their political rivals, aiding readers to chop in the course of the noise and locate their voices back.
- The Failure of the Heath Government
- Engaging enemies : Hayek and the left
- The Conservatives: Ideas and Personalities Throughout American History
- The Best-Laid Plans: How Government Planning Harms Your Quality of Life, Your Pocketbook, and Your Future
Additional info for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World
They have a world to win. " 1" 48 10 BOOKS THAT SCREWED UP THE WORLD There are, of course, important differences with Marx. , "the arts") caused our misery, then the only way to progress was to go backward, to recreate as best one could the condition of the undeveloped human animal, shaking off the artificial chains of society and returning to the purity of nature. For Marx and Engels, by contrast, the progressive conquering of nature and the stages of society that arise from it lead forward to a peaceful, communistic utopia, where technology provides an Edenic existence in which no one has to labor.
As soon as they had the strength to seek their food, they did not delay in leaving the mother herself; and as there was prac tically no other way to find one ano ther again than not to lose sight of each other [in the jungle or forest] , they were soon at a point of not even recognizing one another. "6 And the father? Well, as it turns out, the concepts of fatherhood and moral duty-even the concept of "love"-are artificial con trivances that arise only after men have declined from the morality free primitive state.
We must dwell upon this last point. It is characteristic of the authors we're examining that, as they are nearly all atheists, they Leuiathan (1 651) 35 passionately desired to replace the biblical account of human ori gins with one of their own contriving. In fact, in many respects all of modernity is an attempt to replace the biblical account of Eden with an entirely new story Qust as it is an attempt to replace a heav enly kingdom with an earthly utopia). For our purposes, it doesn't matter whether you think the Edenic account is a fable, because the really important thing is to see that one story about human nature and human origins is being replaced by another.
10 Books That Screwed Up the World by Benjamin Wiker